COUNSEL – ADMINISTRATIVE LAW
Our client in the broader public sector is seeking a highly knowledgeable lawyer to join their team in the role of counsel. In this position, you will provide legal advice and support to adjudicative tribunals, by advising adjudicators and staff on preparing draft orders, editing draft reasons for decision and publication of decisions. You will also work on projects related to tribunal practice, policy, rules of procedure and education.
Your strong knowledge of administrative law and sound and strategic judgement in developing, analyzing and applying complex information will allow you to succeed in this position. You will have responsibility to provide legal advice regarding decision and publication issues with a short turnaround time. Your exceptional communication skills and aptitude for writing and editing will allow you to prepare order and decision templates, edit draft reasons for decision, and summarize decisions for publication. In addition, you must be able to communicate clearly with a diverse set of stakeholders regarding committee practice, procedure and decisions, including committee members, legal counsel, staff, and members of the public.
This position will be a good fit for someone who prides themselves on their in-depth knowledge and attention to detail regarding administrative law and tribunals, and their ability to translate that knowledge into expressive and persuasive written and oral communication.
- Law degree and 5 years’ experience working before or in a tribunal and/or administrative law setting
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of administrative law, knowledge of best practices and innovative approaches in administrative tribunals
- Experience with decision writing and guidelines around publication of decisions
- Current and highly proficient editorial, legal research and writing skills
- Strong analysis, research and policy skills to support review and maintenance of policies and procedures relating to hearings and administrative practice.
- Sound and strategic judgment in developing, analyzing and applying complex information
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to foster positive public and stakeholder relations
- Ability to read and/or edit French text is an asset